Saturday 13 December 2008

Playlist 12.12.08 - FINAL SHOW

FINAL SHOW BEST OF 2008

Hour 1

1. the Jesus And Mary Chain "My Little Underground" Psychocandy (1985) Warner Bros
2. Enslaved "Ground" Vertebrae Nuclear Blast
3. Fuck Buttons "Bright Tomorrow" Street Horrring ATP Recordings
4. Marnie Stern "Roads? Where We're Going We Don't Need Roads" This Is It... Kill Rock Stars
5. Magnetic Fields "The Nun's Litany" Distortion Nonesuch
6. Basic Channel "Enforcement" BCD-2 Basic Channel
7. Indian "Lust" Slights And Abuse/The Sycophant Seventh Rule
8. Roots Manuva "Let The Spirit" Slime & Reason Big Dada
9. Titus Andronicus "Titus Andronicus" The Airing Of Grievances XL

Hour 2

10. Black Mountain "Queens Will Play" In The Future Jagjaguwar
11. Portishead "The Rip" Third Island
12. Gigan "Space Coffin Hallucinations" The Order Of The False Eye Napalm
13. Neutral Milk Hotel "Marching Theme" On Avery Island (1996) Merge
14. Boris "My Neighbor Satan" Smile Southern Lord
15. Crystal Castles "Through The Hosiery" Crystal Castles Last Gang
16. Origin "The Beyond Within" Antithesis Relapse
17. Ellen Allien "Out" Sool BPitch Control
18. Cynic "Integral Birth" Traced In Air Season Of Mist
19. Juana Molina "El Vestido" Un Día Domino
20. Intronaut "Any Port" Prehistoricisms Century Media

It was a very peculiar final show. I got a very random request, that NMH song. I messed up when I played that Portishead song. And I had to drop two tracks, sadly. There were: Matmos "Exciter Lamp & The Variable Band" and Flying Lotus "Riot."

So this was the final show, in all likelihood, ever. I'm going to study abroad in France next semester, so I geographically can't do a show. And I'd be busy anyway. I know I'll be extremely busy next year (my senior year), so I don't think I'll have time to do a show. And then my time in Bowling Green will be over and I have no intention of living in BG after school. Yeah, it's not looking good for the future of MLU. Maybe it'll just become this blog? Maybe the blog will be the only thing remaining ever? !!?? I'm not sure at all. I'm no fortune teller.

I have mixed feelings about the end of the show. Immediately, I feel sad. I'll miss all the new music and the actual act of doing the show. I'll miss the studio, the people, the studio's stereo, all that good stuff. However, planning a show every week is very time consuming and it'll be nice to not have to worry about it. I won't be listening to music and hoping that there are no FCC words in the songs I want to play. It's a little inconvenient that my show was on Friday night, even though I don't know what day would be better. Keeping up on new music is fun, but also very time consuming; it's not that it's bad. There just aren't enough hours in the day to hear all the new stuff. There are so many bands out there! Doing the show made me take note of just how vast the music world is. I think about all the mainstream music that most people listen to and just how limited that world is. How boring. People are missing out on so much.

This brings me to another point: is radio dying? I kind of think it is. I don't know any one, other than the DJs, who listens to the station. I've told my friends and acquaintances about my show and all, but they're just not interested. They just don't care as much about music. Maybe that's it. The radio exists more for the people who do care and that's why it hasn't gone away yet. The future is uncertain. Music will never go away, but the ways that people listen seems to be changing a lot. Maybe WBGU will be gone sometime in the near future. I don't want it to happen, but it almost seems inevitable.

Dang, that got a bit off-topic. Well, I'll post some more stuff about 2008 soon.

No comments: